Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Victoria F. Alcantara '10 Memorial Scholarship in Nursing
Download Nomination Form (PDF)
Download Nomination Form (Word)
Criteria for Application/Nomination
A. The Award
- The Victoria F. Alcantara ’10 Memorial Scholarship in Nursing was established in 2010 in memory of Victoria Alcantara, a JMU junior nursing student who lost her life suddenly and unexpectedly in 2009. Victoria was an excellent student and trusted friend with strong leadership skills and a passion for nursing. Her family and friends, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi sorority, and the students and faculty of the school of nursing have honored her legacy at JMU through this scholarship in her memory.
- This scholarship is given to a junior or senior nursing student. Nursing students or faculty can make nominations. Students may nominate themselves or be nominated other students. Nominations/applications are reviewed according to the designated criteria.
B. Procedure for Nomination
- Complete the nomination form indicating your choice for the award, and return to School Secretary in the school office no later than March 1.
- Substantiate your nomination/application concisely and specifically. Responses are evaluated according to quality of written presentation, and the breadth and adequacy of documentation. Document active involvement with specific examples and include time frame and degree of involvement for each area. If desired, submit a letter of support from a supervisor or person knowledgeable about the quality and degree of participation.
- Rising junior or senior nursing student
- Successful academic achievement including a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Demonstrated outstanding academic performance, excellence in nursing care, and leadership skills