Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Download Nomination Form (PDF)
Download Nomination Form (Word)
Criteria for Application/Nomination
A. The Award
- The Henley family established The Henley Scholarship, an endowed scholarship, in 1983 in memory of their mother, Gloria Jane Hollowell Henley. Mrs. Henley was a juvenile diabetic who had several amputations, was on a kidney machine and died of heart failure. She was very fond of music and a music scholarship was established in their church. A scholarship was also established at another college for a handicapped student. Mrs. Henley's son, a student at JMU, recalled his mother's love for the nurses who cared for her and suggested to his father that a scholarship in her memory be established for a nursing student at JMU. Mr. Henley established the scholarship in honor of his wife and because of her love for children and education.
- This need-based scholarship is given annually to a junior or rising senior nursing student. It is awarded through applications or nominations submitted to the Nursing Academic Unit Head.
B. Procedure for Nomination
- Complete the nomination form indicating your choice for the award, and return to School Secretary in the school office no later than March 1.
- Substantiate your nomination/application concisely and specifically. Responses are evaluated according to quality of written presentation, and the breadth and adequacy of documentation of need.
C. Criteria for the Award
- Junior or Senior Nursing Student experiencing financial need but who may or may not have official financial need as determined by the financial aid office.
- Satisfactory academic performance.
- Interest and commitment to serving persons with handicaps or who have special needs.