Transfer Student Information
Thank you for your interest in James Madison University’s Nursing Program. Included are some helpful directions and tips for a successful transition.
Admission to the Nursing Program is separate from admission to the university and requires a BSN Admission Application. Admission decisions are made each semester for the following semester. When you transfer, enroll in JMU, and complete one full-time semester at JMU, you may apply to the nursing program during the following admission cycle once you meet admission criteria. Further information about admission to the nursing program can be found at Admission FAQ. Admission to the Nursing program is competitive.
- Review the JMU Transfer Advising Website
- Complete your application to JMU.
- After you are accepted to JMU, the Admissions Office will schedule you for Transfer Orientation. Attend the Transfer Orientation in December for Spring transfers, and June for August transfers. At that time, the Registrar’s Office will analyze your transcripts and a nursing advisor/counselor will meet with you to plan your course of study, and advise when you can be considered for admission to the nursing program.
- Review our Department of Nursing (BSN) admission criteria.
- Complete and submit the BSN Admission Application once you have completed the requirements and prerequisites for admission and prior to the fall/spring application deadlines. Be sure to submit a separate copy of all official college transcripts directly to the nursing department. .
- During your first semester, get to know your academic advisor and schedule regular advising appointments with him/her.
Second Degree Seeking Students
- Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from another institution may not earn a second baccalaureate degree at James Madison University. RN-BSN applicants: please see RN-BSN Overview page.
- JMU alumni who wish to obtain a second major need to contact JMU’s Office of Outreach and Engagement.
- Policy Information
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Differential Tuition for Nursing Courses
- Monday, August 31
Fall Semester Begins
- November 23 - 27
Thanksgiving break – no classes held
- December 14 - 18
- Saturday, December 19
Welcome to JMU Nursing
We engage students, faculty and communities through dynamic and innovative nursing education, practice and scholarship to influence health in our world. More >