Admission to the MSN Program
The Two-Part Application Process
- Apply to The Graduate School
- After completing the Graduate School application, download a screen shot of your application fee receipt and save it as a PDF file, then upload to NURSINGCAS as directed in the instructions outlined in step 2 (below)
- Submit all required documents.
- DO NOT submit these within the JMU Graduate School application.
Admission to the Master of Science in Nursing Degree Program is Competitive.
To be considered for admission to the program prospective students must:
- Apply to the Graduate School (http://www.jmu.edu/grad)
- Students applying for the Nurse Midwifery or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner will need to also apply and meet the Shenandoah University requirements.
- Have a Bachelor's degree in nursing or another field*, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8.(3.0 required for NP and Nurse Midwifery applicants)
- Hold a current unrestricted Registered Nurse License.
- Have relevant professional clinical experience
- Have taken undergraduate or graduate course in Statistics with a grade of C or higher.
- Hold current CPR certification and health records.
- Meet the School's technical standards for admission.
- Provide evidence of personal and professional qualifications in form of two (2) professional recommendations.
- For international students, provide evidence of passing grade on CGFNS exam (both parts). Apply for VA RN license (TOEFL 570 required). (Contact program director for more information.)
- Participate in an interview, upon request.
For questions or additional information about the MSN Program, please contact Dawn Wyvill at (540) 568-2909 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* A transcript analysis will be completed on all students who have an associate degree in nursing (ADN) from an accredited nursing program and an undergraduate baccalaureate degree in another field to determine any gaps in meeting the Essentials of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. During this transcript review, the plan of study may include up to 11 extra credits.
Applications are processed on a rolling admission basis until the class fills for the CNL and Nurse Administrator concentrations. Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Midwifery applications are due on January 15 at 5pm (EST). Applications submitted after the January 15 deadline may be considered based on merit and availability in the program. Applicant interviews will be held on February 3 and 4, 2020.
Admission Information for International Graduate Students
International students educated in a basic program where English is not the language of instruction must achieve at least a 570 score on the TOEFL (paper test), 230 (computer score) or 88 (internet-based test).
Transcripts from outside of the United States must be evaluated prior to admission into the nursing program. You may request a credential Evaluation service application packet from the World Education Service (WES) from www.wes.org or call (212) 966-6311
When completing the application, you should request the full nursing education course-by-course report.
Commission on Graduate of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) is a non-profit, internationally recognized leader in the education, registration, and licensure of healthcare professionals worldwide. CGFNS protects the public in relation to evolving healthcare policies and standards of professional practice for migrating healthcare professionals.http://www.cgfns.org/
CGFNS was established as a non-profit, immigration neutral organization with a commitment to protect the public by ensuring that nurses educated in countries other than the United States are eligible and qualified to meet licensure and other practice requirements in the USA. Throughout its history, CGFNS has demonstrated its commitment to excellence and quality in healthcare arena and fostering equitable treatment of healthcare professionals.
For additional information about CGFNS Contact:
- Phone: (215)349-8767
- Fax: (215)349-0026
- Mailing Address: P.O Box 8628, Philadelphia, PA 19104-8628 USA.