Maria Gilson deValpine, RN, MSN, Ph.D.
- Office: HBS 4024
- Phone: 540-568-7638
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing Address:
235 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D. – Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 2008
Dissertation, Lost in Translation: Ideas of Population Health Determinants in the American Policy Arena
- MSN – University of Virginia, 1989
- BSN – Oregon Health & Sciences University, 1985
- Associate Professor, School of Nursing, James Madison University, 2012–
- Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, University of Alaska, 2011-2012
- Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Sciences University, 2003-2011
- Health & Public Policy
- Health Disparities
- Public Health Education
- Sistrom, M., Boudrot, T. & Jones, M. 2013. Teaching epidemiology: Nursing student achievement in a multi-campus, multi-faculty, distance delivery course.Journal of Nursing Education & Practice, 4(2);67-73.
- Sistrom, M. & Powers, E. 2012. Outbreak of Chicken Pox at a Child Care Facility, Kenai Peninsula 2011 State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin. No. 6, March 7, 2012.
- Sistrom, M., Zeigen, L.., Durham, K., Jones, M., Boudrot, T. 2011. Integrated Methods for Teaching Public Health. Journal of Nursing Education. 50(1); 35-39.
- Sistrom, M. 2010. Oregon’s Senate Bill 560: Practical Policy Lessons for Nurse Advocates. Nursing Policy, Politics and Practice. 11(1); 29-35.
- Bezruchka, S., Tsukata, N., Sistrom, M. Decreasing Inequality and Health Improvements: The Case of Post-War Japan. In Pickett, K. and R. G. Wilkinson (2008). Health and inequality. Abingdon, Oxon, UK; New York, N.Y., Routledge.
- Bezruchka, S., Tsukata, N., Sistrom, M. 2008. Decreasing Inequality and Health Improvements: The Case of Post-War Japan. American Journal of Public Health. 98(4):588-594.
- Sistrom, M. 2008. Teaching Epidemiology: The Role of the Public Health Nurse. Journal of
Nursing Education. 47(5); 227-230.
- Sistrom, M. & Hale, P. 2006. Integrative Review of Population Health and Income, Social Capital and Structural Inequality. Journal of Multicultural Nursing & Health. 2006 Summer; 12(2):21-7.
- Sistrom, M. & Hale, J. 2006. Outbreak Investigations: Community Participation and the Role of
Community and Public Health Nurses. Public Health Nursing. 23(3):256-63, 2006 May-Jun.
- Author. Smallpox: Spread, Control and Counterintuition. CD Summary, An Epidemiology Publication of the Oregon Department of Human Services, Vol. 51, No. 4.
- Muto, C., Sistrom, M., Strain, B., Farr, B. Glove Leakage Rates as a Function of Latex Content and Brand. Archives of Surgery, 2000;135:982-985.
- Muto, C., Sistrom, M., Farr, B. Hand Hygiene Rates Unaffected by Installation of Dispensers of a Rapidly Acting hand Antiseptic. American Journal of Infection Control. American Journal of Infection Control, 2000;28:273-6.
- Sistrom, M., Coyner, B., Gwaltney, J., Farr, B. Frequency of Percutaneous Injuries Requiring Post- Exposure Prophylaxis for Occupational Exposure to HIV. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 1998;19:504-506.
- Sistrom, M. Partner Notification in HIV infection: Should We or Shouldn’t We? Virginia Nurse, 1991, 58, 4.
- Virginia Nurses Foundation Leadership Excellence Award - Nurse Researcher, 2013
- Nominee, National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Stipend, 2013
- Scholar, Institute of Translation Health Sciences, University of Washington, May 2012
- Faculty Mentor of Undergraduate Research, University of Alaska Anchorage, May 2012
- Student Poster Award, American Public Health Association, Nursing Section, October 2008
- Graduate Teaching Award Nominee, Oregon Masters of Public Health, OHSU June 2007
- Graduate Teaching Award Nominee, Oregon Masters of Public Health, OHSU June 2006
- Community of Scholars, Mark O. Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University 2005
- Expression of Appreciation for Public Service after the events of September 11, 2001
State of Oregon, Governor Kitzhaber August 2002
- Top Performer, U.S. Air Force Officers’ Training School December 1995
- Graduate Nursing Information Sessions
Tuesday, September 20
- August/September 2016 - Nursing Newsletter
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Differential Tuition for Nursing Courses
Welcome to JMU Nursing
We engage students, faculty and communities through dynamic and innovative nursing education, practice and scholarship to influence health in our world. More >