Maria Gilson deValpine, RN, MSN, Ph.D.
- Office: Burruss 205
- Phone: 540-568-7638
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address:
820 Madison Drive
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D. – Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 2008
Dissertation, Lost in Translation: Ideas of Population Health Determinants in the American Policy Arena
- MSN – University of Virginia, 1989
- BSN – Oregon Health & Sciences University, 1985
- Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, James Madison University, 2012–
- Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, University of Alaska, 2011-2012
- Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Sciences University, 2003-2011
- Health & Public Policy
- Health Disparities
- Public Health Education
- Sistrom, M., Boudrot, T. & Jones, M. 2013. Teaching epidemiology: Nursing student achievement in a multi-campus, multi-faculty, distance delivery course.Journal of Nursing Education & Practice, 4(2);67-73.
- Sistrom, M. & Powers, E. 2012. Outbreak of Chicken Pox at a Child Care Facility, Kenai Peninsula 2011 State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin. No. 6, March 7, 2012.
- Sistrom, M., Zeigen, L.., Durham, K., Jones, M., Boudrot, T. 2011. Integrated Methods for Teaching Public Health. Journal of Nursing Education. 50(1); 35-39.
- Sistrom, M. 2010. Oregon’s Senate Bill 560: Practical Policy Lessons for Nurse Advocates. Nursing Policy, Politics and Practice. 11(1); 29-35.
- Bezruchka, S., Tsukata, N., Sistrom, M. Decreasing Inequality and Health Improvements: The Case of Post-War Japan. In Pickett, K. and R. G. Wilkinson (2008). Health and inequality. Abingdon, Oxon, UK; New York, N.Y., Routledge.
- Bezruchka, S., Tsukata, N., Sistrom, M. 2008. Decreasing Inequality and Health Improvements: The Case of Post-War Japan. American Journal of Public Health. 98(4):588-594.
- Sistrom, M. 2008. Teaching Epidemiology: The Role of the Public Health Nurse. Journal of
Nursing Education. 47(5); 227-230.
- Sistrom, M. & Hale, P. 2006. Integrative Review of Population Health and Income, Social Capital and Structural Inequality. Journal of Multicultural Nursing & Health. 2006 Summer; 12(2):21-7.
- Sistrom, M. & Hale, J. 2006. Outbreak Investigations: Community Participation and the Role of
Community and Public Health Nurses. Public Health Nursing. 23(3):256-63, 2006 May-Jun.
- Author. Smallpox: Spread, Control and Counterintuition. CD Summary, An Epidemiology Publication of the Oregon Department of Human Services, Vol. 51, No. 4.
- Muto, C., Sistrom, M., Strain, B., Farr, B. Glove Leakage Rates as a Function of Latex Content and Brand. Archives of Surgery, 2000;135:982-985.
- Muto, C., Sistrom, M., Farr, B. Hand Hygiene Rates Unaffected by Installation of Dispensers of a Rapidly Acting hand Antiseptic. American Journal of Infection Control. American Journal of Infection Control, 2000;28:273-6.
- Sistrom, M., Coyner, B., Gwaltney, J., Farr, B. Frequency of Percutaneous Injuries Requiring Post- Exposure Prophylaxis for Occupational Exposure to HIV. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 1998;19:504-506.
- Sistrom, M. Partner Notification in HIV infection: Should We or Shouldn’t We? Virginia Nurse, 1991, 58, 4.
- Virginia Nurses Foundation Leadership Excellence Award - Nurse Researcher, 2013
- Nominee, National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Stipend, 2013
- Scholar, Institute of Translation Health Sciences, University of Washington, May 2012
- Faculty Mentor of Undergraduate Research, University of Alaska Anchorage, May 2012
- Student Poster Award, American Public Health Association, Nursing Section, October 2008
- Graduate Teaching Award Nominee, Oregon Masters of Public Health, OHSU June 2007
- Graduate Teaching Award Nominee, Oregon Masters of Public Health, OHSU June 2006
- Community of Scholars, Mark O. Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University 2005
- Expression of Appreciation for Public Service after the events of September 11, 2001
State of Oregon, Governor Kitzhaber August 2002
- Top Performer, U.S. Air Force Officers’ Training School December 1995
- JMU RN to BSN Program Rated a Best Value
- November 24-28
- December 8-12
- December 13
Commencement begins at 10 a.m. in the Convocation Center.
- CHBS Summer Springboard Presentation for Nursing and CSD Students (PPT)
- Check out the website for the Kenya trip!
Welcome to JMU Nursing
Our mission is to prepare nursing leaders to influence a changing profession, society, health care system, and world. The students, faculty and staff in our department meet the challenge to Be the Change in our university and in society. More >