RN to BSN Admission
The deadlines for applications are April 1 for fall admission and October 15 for spring admission.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
September 25: Transcript reviews for spring 2016 will be closed after this date. All transcripts received after this date will be reviewed for possible admission fall 2016.
March 16: Transcript reviews for fall 2016 will be closed after this date. All transcript reviews after this date will be reviewed for possible admission for spring 2017
Admission to the RN-BSN program of study in Nursing is competitive. Prospective students must have the following qualifications:
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing from a community college or diploma nursing school.
- Transcripts reflecting a cumulative GPA on all college work attempted of 2.5 or better on a 4-point scale.
- TOEFL scores greater than 570 for international applicants
- Current unrestricted RN license in any state, Washington D.C., or a U.S possession or territory.
- Graduates of foreign nursing schools, who are licensed outside of the United States, are required to pass the Qualifying Exam of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
- Employment as an RN for a minimum of six months or plans to practice concurrently with coursework.
- Ability to meet the department's Technical Standards for nursing practice (posted on the nursing website).
There is a mandatory 1-day RN-BSN Orientation held before the start of each semester that counts toward the 1 credit course NSG 324 – Strategies for Academic Success. *** Students unable to attend, have to defer to the following semester.
- Send an Email to Theresa Jennings, Admissions coordinator, at email@example.com, with a list of all institutions you have attended and your current mailing address; this will allow us to track transcripts as they are received. Send all official college transcripts to:
Outreach & Engagement
127 West Bruce Street, Ice Factory 312
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
- Once all transcripts are received, they will be sent to the program coordinator for evaluation. If the program coordinator determines that you are a qualified candidate, you will be sent further instructions on how to access the application
- Candidates may be asked to participate in a face to face or online interview via Skype or Facetime.
Once the program coordinator has determined that you are a qualified applicant, you must:
- Apply for admission to the RN-BSN Program using the following link: https://www.applyweb.com/jmubsn/. Online applications are accepted through April 15 for fall admission and October 15 for spring admission.
- A copy of current RN licensure will be obtained prior to entry into the program.
- Once your application is complete and all materials have been received, it will be sent to the program coordinator and RN-BSN admissions committee for a final admissions decision.
- JMU RN to BSN Program Rated a Best Value
- Monday, August 31
Fall Semester Begins
- November 23 - 27
Thanksgiving break – no classes held
- December 14 - 18
- Saturday, December 19