Healthy Workplace Environment Relational Agreement
- We commit to being a positive role model for the nursing profession and the JMU community by being an engaged member of the JMU community, recognizing we are all members of a team and drawing from the strength of team members, and by actively supporting a mentoring culture.
- We commit to a standard of excellence in our behaviors by committing to growth in our professional roles, being fully prepared and present for the demands of each day, and by giving and accepting constructive feedback.
- We commit to honor the diversity of perspectives, time, roles, and individuality by being present and reflective while treating others with dignity and equal value.
- We commit to respect each individual’s effort to achieve personal and professional fulfillment by offering support, encouragement, and opportunity for growth.
(Occurs through Verbal, Written, and Nonverbal Means)
- We commit to communicating mindfully with all individuals we encounter by being open, honest, nonjudgmental; receptive to input; and seeking to make the best decisions for the greater good above personal preference.
- We commit to active listening by using appropriate eye contact, limiting interruptions, and offering reflective feedback.
- We commit to respectful nonverbal communication by being mindful of body language.
- We commit to recognizing that healthy conflict presents an opportunity for personal and professional growth: Therefore, we commit to approaching conflict respectfully and with an openness to diverse perspectives.
- When conflict arises, we commit to speaking directly to the party or parties involved, and to speaking only for ourselves.
- We commit to honest conversation regarding past, present and/or potential conflict, by discussing the situation without placing blame, and by reflecting on lessons learned.
- We commit to avoid behaviors that foster an unhealthy workplace environment, such as engaging in gossip and/or personal criticisms.
- We commit to being accountable to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the School of Nursing by being knowledgeable of the policies and procedures of the School, and by supporting the success of our students.
- We commit to being accountable to our colleagues by being prepared, engaged, and collaborative, while taking into account diversity of ideas and roles.
- We commit to being accountable to ourselves by knowing the expectations of our roles, and by asking for help when it is needed.
- We commit to saying “yes” strategically by knowing our strengths, interests, and limits, and also by trusting our colleagues to know the same.
- We commit to nurturing ourselves by creating a culture that honors taking time to engage in self-care.
- We commit to authenticity by showing up, being present and honest, and by reaching out to others when in need of help or support and finding formal or informal support systems when needed.
- We commit to a culture of appreciation by acknowledging the accomplishments and efforts of others with verbal and/or written words of recognition and encouragement, and to celebrate in times of success.
- We commit to affirm each other in our daily work by genuine acknowledgement of the little things in a personal way.
- We commit to an attitude of gratitude by seeking to notice new things we’re grateful for each day.
- We commit to take time to celebrate the successes and milestones of our School of Nursing.